I got my MRI results on Tuesday. They show damage to two discs, both are compressed. One is more compressed than the other, the other is protruding and pushing on a nerve, hence all the pain.
I have two choices. Do nothing and see if it fixes itself (its been almost 5 months). Have surgery to remove the damaged discs and replace them with artificial ones.
There is no choice really. I cannot stay on the drugs I am on for much longer. My quality of life is awful, everything I do is limited by “I can’ts” because of the injury. If it was going to fix itself surely it would have at least improved by now. On the other hand, surgery means I will be out of pain and will be able to do anything pretty much (including equestrian eventing eventually – though apparently I can’t consider being a front-row forward).
Surgery on my neck is frightening. It will leave a scar on the front of my neck and as good as the results will be I will never quite be as good as I was before.
I have three weeks to ‘decide.’ I have already decided but I am going to seek a second opinion just to be sure.