On Tuesday 2 October 2012 Matt participated in a debate on the moot “This House supports the legalisation of same-sex marriage in New Zealand” at the University of Auckland along with:
- Louisa Wall Labour Party MP and the drafter of the Bill
- Colin Craig leader of the NZ Conservative Party
- Levi Joule Queer Rights Officer of AUSA) and the Auckland Regional Chair for Young Labour
- Bonnie Hartfield Co-chair of Legaliselove
- Auimatagi Joe Moeono-Kolio Auckland University Student Chaplain
- Matthew Flannagan Theologian, Philosopher, Pastor & blogger at MandM
The video of that debate is now available.